Tuesday 6 August 2013

Where is the print ads displayed?

This is my 15th post, I would like to discuss about the place/media that the print ads displayed. It does matter, as it will reveal the age and race of target audience the adverts really emphasize on, and likewise, the gender. To understand the lifestyle of each particular group of people in order to achieve an effective interaction with them. I will be doing analysis based on the print ads I have published in the previous post. 
*I am here to apologize that those photos I took are a bit lousy, please be forgiven. :)

Even though it is a same brand, the meaning of adverts try to convey will be different due to their place of display. These are the example:


Sinchew daily 

The target audience of Sinchew is loyal readers. How do I know? Usually, I have breakfast with my family on Sunday morning, I realize that most uncles will take a SinChew and have their breakfast in 茶餐室,Chinese restaurant. Undoubtedly, it is veritable spiritual food to them.


New Strait Time

No big difference with the sinchew, but the symbolic role of stewardess is different. For more details, please refer back to my post 'Target Audience Interpretation'.


This print ads is from Malay newspaper which I found in a forum.(http://www.skyscrapercity.com/archive/index.php/t-1224855-p-2.html)


This is the print ads I shoot from Berita Harian.

Both of them are actually promoting the flight to Indonesia, but you will realize the big difference between Malay newspaper and Chinese & English newspaper. Spot that? Where is the stewardess? 


Fly AirAsiaX To Paris From Just SGD 224 Ad Image
Singapore ads (SGD)

Malaysia ads (RM)

These two valuable flight promotion print ads I found from internet. I believe that the upper one is the actual image of the print ads. The bottom one is in Malay version, I think the criteria of adverting the print ads is more loose compared to the print ads in newspaper. In this caseThe question comes in my mind, why is the Red Cross logo appears on the kissing part? Also, the whole figure of the couple is cropped out into half body in Malaysia ads. In Islamic culture, I know intimacy is forbidden in public. Considering about the cultural background of Malaysia, adverts are still constrained regarding to the regulation.


The last print ads I am not going to say too much. I mentioned several times about that. This is a very controversial, this is the reason it is hardly found from printed media. It will be banned by Malaysia for sure due to the 'sexual' issue is indirectly conveyed. 

To recapitulate, same brands, yet different print ads are published through different media. This shows how the place of display has relation to the print ads. By the way, I will show more different kind of medias in the following blog. 


Resources:
Lim, K(2010) Fly AirAsiaX To Paris From Just SGD 224. Available at: 

Sandilands, B (2012) Air Asia Sexist Ads Website, and a few Doubts as to Whether There is More to It Than It Says. Available at: http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2012/02/05/air-asia-sexist-ads-website-and-a-few-doubts-as-to-whether-there-is-more-to-it-than-it-says/ [Accessed: 6th August, 2013]. 

Zahar, M.A. (2012) Available at: http://sasaranfkpm.wordpress.com/2012/12/03/adakah-lucah-itu-menguntungkan/marhanah-abu-zahar/ [Accessed: 16th July, 2013].

Additional (forum/blog):
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=429431&page=108
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/archive/index.php/t-1224855-p-2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment